Call For A Free Consultation 772-252-6191
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

Fort Pierce Dog Bite Lawyer

Dog bites and attacks are a serious problem not only in Florida, but also throughout the United States. According to data, each day, 1,000 people across the United States require emergency care for treatment from dog bite injuries. Furthermore, each year about 600 Floridians are hospitalized due to injuries from dog bites. Most dog bites involve children less than 6 years old and boys between 6 and 14 years of age. Alarmingly, children under the age of 10 are likely to be bitten on the head or neck.

Dog bites can cause serious injuries and damages, especially because young children are susceptible to attacks. To reduce the incidents of dog bites and to hold dog owners liable for dog attacks, each state has varying laws governing liability for dog bites. Contact our experienced Fort Pierce dog bite lawyer today.

Florida’s Dog Bite Law and Liability

Under Florida law, dog owners are strictly liable for damages to people bitten by their dogs. Under Florida’s “Damages by Dogs” statute, the dog owner is liable for damages if:

  • The dog owner’s dog bites a person; and
  • The person is on or in a public place, or lawfully on or in a private place, including the dog’s owner property.

Florida is strict liability state because a dog owner is liable for damages, regardless of whether the dog owner knows or reasonably should know that one’s dog is violent or likely to attack another person. Importantly, a dog owner’s liability may be reduced if the person bitten negligently contributed to the incident. This means that if a dog bite victim provokes the dog then the dog bite victim’s damages will be reduced based on the percentage the victim contributed to the incident. As such, if the victim is found 30 percent liable for the dog bite attack, the victim’s damages will be reduced by 30 percent. But, the dog owner is still liable for the remaining 70 percent of the damages.

If the owner, however, has a sign easily readable including the words “Bad Dog” on the premises then the owner is liable only if the damages are approximately caused by a negligent act or omission of the owner. Notwithstanding whether there is a sign on an owner’s premises, the dog owner is still strictly liable for dog bites to children under the age of 6.

Injured in a Dog Attack? Contact the Law Firm of William E. Raikes III for Help

If you or a loved one has been injured in a dog attack, it is important to reach out to an experienced Fort Pierce dog bite lawyer who can help protect your rights. At the Law Firm of William E. Raikes III, we have extensive experience helping dog bite victims obtain compensation for their injuries. William E. Raikes III has experience prosecuting dog bite attacks in Fort Pierce, Saint Lucie County, and the Indian River communities throughout Florida.

Contact William E. Raikes III at 772-595-6654  for a free initial consultation and case evaluation.

Share This Page:

The Law Office of William E. Raikes III is located in Fort Pierce, FL and serves clients in and around the communities of Fort Pierce, Port Saint Lucie and Vero Beach.

MileMark Media – Practice Growth Solutions

© 2015 - 2022 The Law Firm of William E. Raikes III. All rights reserved.
This law firm website & legal marketing is managed by MileMark Media..

Contact The Firm