Call For A Free Consultation 772-252-6191
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

Injuries That Occur On Another’s Property


You are visiting a family member or friend, or attending a neighborhood gathering at someone’s home. Maybe you trip over an uneven paving stone along a walkway, or you end up being bit by the family’s dog. Any number of scenarios could result in serious personal injuries, which can end up eventually costing you tens of thousands of dollars in medical expenses, along with lost wages. These types of situations are challenging, particularly when they involve family and close friends. It is important to be aware of your options in seeking compensation for your damages. 

Premises Liability Claims

Under the Florida Statutes, premises liability results when guests who are invited onto another’s property suffer injuries as the result of the property owner’s negligence. This may involve failing to make needed improvements to keep the property safe, or failing to warn others that dangerous conditions exist. Examples include:

  • Uneven sidewalks and entry ways;
  • Low hanging or loose branches;
  • Exposed electrical wiring and cords;
  • Loose fixtures or shelving;
  • Torn carpets and flooring materials;
  • Lack of handrails on stairs and at heights;
  • Unstable decks and patios;
  • Animals who may be inclined to bite or attack.

As a result of any of the above, serious and even disabling injuries can occur, for which the property owner would be liable for. These types of injuries may include broken bones, soft tissue injuries, severe cuts or puncture wounds, back injuries and traumatic brain injuries.

Filing A Claim For Damages

When the above types of accidents and injuries occur, you may be able to file a claim for damages against the property owner’s homeowners insurance policy. The Insurance Information Institute (III) advises that these policies typically include no fault medical protection, in the event someone other than the homeowner is injured on the property. Through no fault benefits, you would simply submit your medical bills to the homeowner, who then submits them to their insurer for payment, generally without any questions asked.

In more serious situations, particularly those involving lost wages and potential future disabilities, you may need to file a premises liability claim for damages against the homeowner in court. The III reports that most homeowners policies include liability protection with limits that start at $100,000. If your neighbor’s dog bites you or you are hit by a tree branch on their property and end up taking them to court, this type of insurance will pay their court costs and any award damages, up to the policy limits.

Reach Out to Us Today for Help

As the above shows, you should not let worry over how a family member or neighbor will react or how they will pay for damages stand in the way of filing a claim. If you suffer injuries on another’s property, call or contact the Law Firm of William E. Raikes III online and request a consultation. Our experienced Fort Pierce personal injury attorney will meet with you to discuss the details of your case, and can advise you on the best course of action so that you can get the compensation you need to recover.


The Law Office of William E. Raikes III is located in Fort Pierce, FL and serves clients in and around the communities of Fort Pierce, Port Saint Lucie and Vero Beach.

MileMark Media – Practice Growth Solutions

© 2015 - 2022 The Law Firm of William E. Raikes III. All rights reserved.
This law firm website & legal marketing is managed by MileMark Media..

Contact The Firm